Neuromuscular Therapy (NMT) is a treatment that utilizes specific massage therapy, flexibility stretching, and home care to eliminate the causes of most neuromuscular pain patterns. This specific and scientific approach to muscular pain relief brings about balance between the musculo-skeletal system and the nervous system.
At “Local Massage Services” there is a strong focus on working with those experiencing muscular discomfort and pain. Neuromuscular Therapy (NMT) – sometimes referred to as clinical massage or medical massage – is an effective and well-recognized means of providing relief from soft tissue pain problems.
We help release chronic muscular tension and pain, reduce stress and physical fatigue, improve your posture, and help you recover from accidents or sports injuries.
Neuromuscular Therapy will be used to address five elements that cause pain:
- Ischemia: Lack of blood supply to soft tissues which causes hypersensitivity to touch
- Trigger Points: Highly irritated points in muscles which refer pain to other parts of the body
- Nerve Compression or Entrapment: Pressure on a nerve by soft tissue, cartilage or bone
- Postural Distortion: Imbalance of the muscular system resulting from the movement of the body off the longitudinal and horizontal planes
- Biomechanical Dysfunction: Imbalance of the musculoskeletal system resulting in faulty movement patterns (i.e., poor lifting habits, bad mechanics in a golf swing of tennis stroke, computer keyboarding)
Many health-related conditions and sports, automobile and work-related injuries respond well to this form of therapeutic massage, including:
- Low back pain/Sciatica
- Migraines & tension headaches
- Neck & shoulder pain
- Whiplash/Rotator cuff injuries
- Frozen shoulder
- Temporomandibular joint (TMJ) dysfunction
- Carpal tunnel syndrome/Tendonitis
- Sprains & strains/Knee pain
- Arthritis/Plantar fasciitis
- Shin splints/Iliotibial (IT) band syndrome
Neuromuscular therapy uses a clinical approach in treating soft tissue complaints. When giving a Neuromuscular Massage Therapy treatment the massage therapist may target one or several muscles. Neuromuscular Massage Therapy focuses on identifying trigger points.
Trigger Points cause local and/or referred pain, and release muscular tension causing pressure on sensitive nerves. During a Neuromuscular Massage Therapy session the pressure is specific and applied throughout the muscle belly and tendons. Many physicians prescribe Neuromuscular Massage Therapy for problems such as whiplash, rotator cuff injuries.
From the surface of the skin down to the depths of where tendons and ligaments attach, our goal is to clear out tension in every nook and cranny where it may be hiding in the soft tissues and causing you pain.By carefully applying exact amounts of pressure to fascia, muscles, tendons and ligaments in both active and passive states we can begin to free long standing hyper-contractions as well as many other undesirable symptoms such as adhesions and trigger-points that may be causing an array of sensations such as pain, tingles, numbness, cramping, aching and burning.
Neuromuscular therapy is gentle and pain-free. The essence of the approach is a method of applying pressure and friction to a muscle at the same time the muscle is being stretched.
If you break your toe, well you might be hobbling around for several weeks. Even when the toe is healed and pain-free, your body might hold onto the pattern of movement you adopted while it was hurting. And your rehab efforts get stuck no matter how hard you work to stretch and strengthen. Neuromuscular Therapy helps retrain the nervous system (and consequently the muscles) to change the inefficient movement patterns it adopted to compensate for your injury. The Result?You get Stronger.
Have some questions? Ready to get started? Call (561) 123-1234